Mumpreneurs are the new superheroes. The integration of motherhood and entrepreneurial activities is now an established trend that is contributing to the growth of the global economy. This is often born of the women’s desire to create a better life for herself and her environment.
Before now, women were seen and accepted only as mothers and wives due to gender roles assigned by society. This placed the responsibility of keeping the home and raising children solely on the women but it’s now a fact that things have changed over the past decade. A lot of mothers have ventured into business for different reasons such as
- sense of achievement and satisfaction with oneself
- increasing income,
- gaining respect to equalize gender imbalance
But what happens when it’s getting overwhelming, when juggling both becomes an impossible feat?
We have put together a few suggestions of what to do.
- Operate from home, if you can, to give you more time with children, but make sure you set boundaries so that you can work!
- Enlist the support of family and friends for business and emotional support. It will help the spouse understand changes in expected gender roles.
- Protect your “family time” because it will only exist because you set the boundaries. Take time out to know what is going on with your children and your entire family. Don’t get lost in it all.
Most importantly, remember to take care of yourself because you are the center that holds the family and business together.